Home Page
Home Page
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A person conceives of himself as separate largley because he perceives OF himself as bounded by a body. ONLY if he perceives himself as a MIND can this be overcome." Jesus CIM

Finding the guts to say NO
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> The Gathering Place (TGP)Message format

robbieh
Posted 2003-02-25 12:09 PM (#3379 - in reply to #3374)
Subject: RE: Finding the guts to say NO

Expert

Trish... I worked as a boarding home licensor and complaint investigator for 4 years. I do know what I am talking about.

In WA we are required to report what she saw. The reason being, what she saw was just the tip of the iceberg. The administrator may have become aware that Heather had seen something that was reportable and then smoothed it all over with talking. In fact that administrator knew the care was substandard no matter "how hard she tried". She didn't try hard enough. Heather is new and would be easily intimidated or manipulated by a dishonest Administrator. Heather should not be put into the position of having to decide when it is ok or not ok to report something. There is nothing wrong with reporting every little thing you see. We encouraged it even though it made more work for us. The reasons are that it is in everyone's best interest to investigate all complaints. It exonerates innocent staff, it reinforces the importance of treating our vulnerable adult population with respect, it teaches young people the value of life regardless of age, it keeps administrators on their toes etc. I always went in with the attitude of innocent until proven guilty as an inspector. I was well liked and trusted... and respected for being honest and tough but fair.

I will not compromise on this issue at all.

Edited by robbieh 2003-02-25 12:11 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software