Home Page
Home Page
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "MAN! WHEN YOU PRAY, WHEN YOU ASK THE FATHER TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING, ASK HIM TO SHOW YOU A LOT! DON'T ASK FOR JUST A LITTLE BIT. ASK HIM TO REVEAL THE MAXIMUM THAT YOU CAN BEAR." ~~ Raj
- (Added by: amena)

Finding the guts to say NO
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> The Gathering Place (TGP)Message format

robbieh
Posted 2003-02-25 12:02 PM (#3378 - in reply to #3376)
Subject: I commend you for your real courage

Expert

you have demonstrated strength and courage with your posting of the experience and what you did and how you felt. I am glad you did.

I have been a nurse for 25 years and have seen this kind of treatment way too much. There can be no tolerance of it to get it to stop. The administrator/director may have approached you out of concern that you might report them and she knows that would mean big trouble for her. She is responsible for how residents are treated in her home. Her words showed that she did indeed have an awareness that her staff did not treat residents with dignity and respect. She was not adamant that they adhere to the minimum standards of any home which is to respect others. She did not make it abundantly clear that abuse, neglect and lack of concern were not tolerated in her home. The situation you described was serious, it wasn't trivial and the care aides needed to be told either shape up or risk being fired period. Here in WA state, the aide can also be brought up on disciplinary proceedings if they are a certified nursing assistant.

This is not a mean way of handling things. You must know where your priorities should be. Your priority is the patient in your care. You can deal with the aides respectfully but firmly. A woman was suffering and once you became aware of it, it became your responsibility to report it.

I am not tolerant of this kind of "care" and am very tough and no nonsense when discussing it. It is a serious problem. I am not criticizing you or any one person here.

Edited by robbieh 2003-02-25 12:03 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software