Home Page
Home Page
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "REMEMBER: WITNESSING ON BEHALF OF YOUR BROTHER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LIKING OR DISLIKING HIM. IT HAS TO DO WITH CARING ENOUGH TO CONTEMPLATE THE TRUTH . . . RIGHT IN THE FACE OF HIS BEHAVIOR. THIS IS LOVE WHICH IS TRANSFORMATIONAL." ~~ Raj
- (Added by: amena)

Finding the guts to say NO
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> The Gathering Place (TGP)Message format

robbieh
Posted 2003-02-24 9:28 PM (#3343 - in reply to #3305)
Subject: RE: Finding the guts to say NO

Expert

Oh for Christ's sake Doug get off your high horse would you? You are preaching to the choir here.

Heather, I would encourage you to find the phone number to report abuse when you see it. Here in the states, anyone who works in assisted living facilities (especially those housing patients who are unable to speak up for themselves) are all mandatory reporters. If you are not able to get results by first talking to a supervisor, you should report it. I've been the investigator of things like this. It is abuse.

It is a rather complicated issue. Nurses aids are almost always poorly paid and poorly trained. Here, our state government has increased the standards required of homes but also cut the amount of money they pay facilities for medicaid clients. Do more with less. When I was a licensor, I tried first to councel the administrators as well as issue a citation. If that didn't work I would either put a condition on their license that they had to get training for whatever issue it was. If that didn't work, we went to fines and/or stop placement (they couldn't admit any new patients until they cleaned up their act) and finally if all else failed, to revocation of their license.

All that being said, put yourself in that woman's place. You can't move or talk, you have to go to the toilet and no one will come. You end up wetting yourself. That alone is humiliating but then the workers scold you and are a bit rough changing you and your bed-- you made more work for them. Your nakedness is humiliating to you but no one cares, you are just a body. Even when the elderly in homes can speak up they often just endure the indignities and abuse because where else is there for them to go? Retaliation is so subtle it is hard to prove. For example, one lady called in a complaint. She was given the cold shoulder after that. The aids wouldn't talk to her when they bathed or toileted her. My heart breaks for them.

I am very glad everything worked out ok in this case.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software