Home Page
Home Page
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Give no reality to guilt, and see NO reason for it ... That is the ANSWER! ~ Raj - 18/11/07 ( submitted by DoG)

Can we start over?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> The Gathering Place (TGP)Message format

robbieh
Posted 2003-02-24 9:08 PM (#3339 - in reply to #3302)
Subject: What do I do?

Expert

I have been a nurse for 25 years. I treat all my patients with love and humility. In that regard, I am a servant. I've been made fun of for being kind to "odd people". The look of gratitude on the "odd" people's faces when someone is kind to them is worth more than a pay raise.

I give things to the guys on the corner with signs (will work for food), sometimes its all the cash in my wallet. I say hi and smile at them... make eye contact. I always respond when they talk to me on the street. I learned a lot from them, about how life is when you are homeless. Not all of them are unhappy about being homeless. That was a surprise to me.

I make eye contact with all the clerks in the stores when I buy things and smile. I don't hassle them when they are very busy. To the grumpy ones I say please take your time I am not in a hurry. I notice when someone needs help and get things down from tall shelves in the grocery store for people. I must have an open friendly face because strangers always talk to me.

When I drive, I get out of the way of speeders without getting angry at them rather than passive-aggressive blocking them like I don't know they are there. I don't tailgate. I don't speed. I always let people in even when I am in a hurry. I tip well because I know people live on their tips. I wave thanks to the police officers with radar in places we need them. I flash my headlights to other drivers to alert them of speed traps (there is a difference). I tell police officers "thank you" when I encounter them in person.

I donate money to different groups, NW AIDS Foundation, volunteer trail groups such as the WTA (WA Trail Association), I did volunteer work last year and plan to again this year. I pick up trash I find on the trails and carry it out. I don't throw my cigarette butts out the window of my car.

I now give 10% of my income to the NWFFACIM and volunteer for all the gatherings, cleaning toilets, vacuuming, dusting, setting up chairs, helping in the kitchen, wash dishes, run errands, run up and down the stairs to save Paul or Susan a trip. I listen for needs they might have and offer to help in any capacity.

I always pay for shareware!

I refuse to gossip even though I am very tempted at times. Consequently, I generally know a lot about things because people know I don't abuse their confidence.

In all my jobs, I give 100% of myself. I prefer jobs that allow me to advocate for others (hospice, boarding home licensor and complaint investigator, home health nurse).

I stand up to bullies. Once I got up into the face of a man who was beating his girlfriend and stopped him. I've stopped at accidents to see if someone needs help.

I send money to Bio-Gems such as recently when they needed money to take on the Navy who wanted to use sonar that would damage whales.

When my 4 year old twin daughters were raped/molested by the 14 yo son of our baby sitter, I went after healing rather than justice. We won our case and the boy got help as did my two girls (who don't remember the incident at all now).

I think about every encounter I have with people and my behavior. I always vote. I always speak up. I volunteer when the need arises (women's shelter, Skagit AIDS, was co-chair of Hands Off Washington, published a monthly newsletter and started a support group for gays, bisexuals and lesbians in a rural community, volunteered to teach diversity classes at local organizations), I always donate something to groups that come to the door like this weekend for the food bank. When my ferry tickets were going to expire before I could use them, I gave them to the toll booth and asked if she would hand them out to people behind me who didn't have tickets. There were about 6 of them worth 7.50 apiece.

Does that answer your question? Did I pass the test?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software