Home Page
Home Page
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I yield up all of my conscious justifications for not looking utterly beautiful, for not having the manifestation of perfect health and perfect symmetry and perfect harmony. I yield them up and yield instead to God's original, current Idea which is Spirit that patterns the energy that makes me experienceable. ~ Raj

Love
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> The Gathering Place (TGP)Message format

sam
Posted 2003-02-23 3:12 PM (#3210)
Subject: Love

Veteran

What does it mean when I say I love my country? I’ll use the convenient term for love in this.

The smell of hotdogs and a bonfire on the fourth of July come back to me. The laughter remembered from the freedom of summer days spent at ease – or the internal turmoil as one crammed for exams in order to measure up and be able to participate in what it takes to be a viable and relatively self reliant human being even within this country. My ability to say and think stuff like this.

The ever present earnest hope that dreams are meant to be fulfilled, that should somehow be a right. The strange contradiction in us, as we pause to recognize a truth stated by another, a countryman says: ‘Every man has his own courage, but is betrayed because he seeks in himself the courage of other person’, and yet we hold idols and role models out as the hope for next generations, unknowing of how to show them the truth of what they are.

There is amusement and affection for the way this country argues so diligently with each other about how things need to be without ever truly being able to solve the problem, yet diligently and intrepidly the show goes on, and they will stand together. There is ultimately a very strong sense of belonging somewhere, a part of something.

There is security and safety in knowing that if something happens to me abroad, if there is trouble, there is someone who will stand up and say ‘she is one of us’ we stand for her, and will do all in our power to ensure her ultimate safety.

Yet, each of these notions are a love of what one may feel the country symbolizes, the image and not the reality. As memories rise, it is so easy to see the pull of sentiment – all a love for the past, and a substitute for the Love of God.

I must say I love other countries and all this world similarly. I enjoy our cultural differences – the wonderous way each have evolved so uniquely. Yet this love too is an image of who, how and what I believe they are. I don’t see them truly – clearly - of my past associations.

So this love is rooted in hate, in separation, and image. An identification of who we are and what we do as separate and distinct from what is outside, something to protect this one from being without earthly identity. This sounds so ultimate, yet at the root of it, the cause of the divisions between man can be very sentimental and ultimately dangerous notions that feel sweet to the senses, yet are meant to obscure the one Love, the Love of God.

It is impossible to share this with family, and those I hold dear in association. On the surface, it would appear as a betrayal. A wise man once said something very frightening: ‘allegience to anything is the beginning of corruption’. The creation of an idol bars the full expression of spirit. I find this frightening, because intellectually it can be seen as true, but feel inadequate to resolve this situation within myself.

This stuckness, attached, frightened at what that would mean, and yet grateful at my ultimate inability to reach that as myself, by myself and for me as I would have it, is actually impossible, as I ponder what it is that is at the root of the divisions and conflicts between man.

As I look at the world ‘situation’, the only opportunity I see for a Lasting peace would be a world wide awareness that it is no longer OK for anyone country, or person to dominate or tyranize another – whether it be a dictator, or someones boss, or the perceived need to achieve more – the effect on the psyche is the same. I fail in that somehow I cannot see everyone suddenly dropping all their separating beliefs, patriotisms, ideologies, politics, and the real problems that substitute for the Love of God, and join each other.

Here’s hoping for a greater vision and greater faith in a true revolution.

Much love,

Sam

Edited by sam 2003-02-23 3:51 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• Love - sam : 2003-02-23 3:12 PM

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software