Home Page
Home Page
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "CHOOSE FOR YOUR JOY. ITS PRESENCE IS A FACT . . . BUT YOUR EXPERIENCE OF IT IS A CHOICE." ~~ Raj
- (Added by: amena)

relativity and Absolute Truth
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> The Gathering Place (TGP)Message format

amena
Posted 2003-02-06 3:49 PM (#1611)
Subject: relativity and Absolute Truth

Expert

i got this in an email....... though it worth sharing.

One of Scribe Einstein's favourite ways of explaining his theory of relativity as it pertains to philosophy, came from Anatole France, the world famous author.

"It is the story of the good man who went everywhere in search of thetruth. Nothing would satisfy him but the final, the Absolute Truth about everything: life, death, good, evil - everything.  Finally an angel took pity on him and brought him to a secret chamber far above the Earth, beyond the blue skies, where he showed him a strange contraption.

It was a huge wheel, bigger than any wheel the man had ever seen. Between the spokes of the wheel, and clinging to them with both hands, stood men and women of every race and colour. As he and his guiding angel approached, all the people began shouting and crying each in their own language. The man could not understand all of them, but those he could understand were saying, "I, and I alone, speak the truth!" 

The man turned in great uncertainty to the angel. "But if one of them is speaking the truth, all the rest must be wrong!" he exclaimed. "How can that be? And if it be so, then which one is speaking the truth?"

The angel smiled, and announced, "None of them speaks the truth."

"You mean," he asked, his voice trembling, "that there is no truth?"

"There is, if one has faith. Listen!"

With that the angel caught the rim of the great wheel in both his hands and with all his strength gave it a whirl. It began to turn, slowly at first, then faster. And as it moved, from the mouth of every man and woman came the cry, "I speak the truth."

Then, as the wheel turned faster and faster, the man noticed that all the faces between the spokes seemed to blend into one great blur in which no one face was distinguishable. The noise grew louder and louder and the word "Truth" rang clear. Suddenly a white light came from all the faces as they flashed past. It filled the room and the sound that came from the wheel was the sound of Truth.

The man turned to the angel and cried out in gratitude, "Oh, thank you! Thank you for letting me see and hear. There is a Truth! I know it now! There is an Absolute Truth!"

"If you believe there is, there is" the angel answered, smiling.

"But isn't that the truth?" the man cried out. "It has the ring of truth."

"It may well be," the angel said. "At least, it is the closest we have been allowed to come so far."

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software