Home Page
Home Page
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The prayer that reforms the sinner and heals the sick is an absolute faith that all things are possible to God, a spiritual understanding of Him -- an unselfed Love. Mary Baker Eddy
- (Added by: Sun~Rose)

---
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> The Gathering Place (TGP)Message format

Amminadab
Posted 2003-01-28 1:48 AM (#778 - in reply to #770)
Subject: i'll try again

Originally written by Rissey on 2003-01-27 10:44 PM

"nobody on the planet knows the Course better than I do"

"I know the Course better than anybody on the planet"

That is not accurate.  I mentioned earlier that i choose my words very carefully.  This is not to play word games, but because specific words have specific meanings....... and specific structure conveys that meaning.

I said that i doubt anybody on the planet knows the Course better than i do.  This is simply not the same as saying i know the Course better than anybody on the planet.

Suppose i change the statement:  I doubt anybody on the planet knows the alphabet better than i do.   This statement does not suggest that i know the alphabet better than anybody on the planet.  One does not follow the other.

I bought a loaf of bread when I went to the store today.

When I went to the store today I bought a loaf of bread.

That is still not accurate.  I think a better example would be:

Nobody in this room has more money than me.

I never said i have more money than everybody in this room.

The first statement leaves two possibilities...... yet you are only acknowledging one.

Now Amminadab, stop this silliness before you drive me into early menopause, and lets get on to something worth developing like.......hmmmmm.......being ok with apologising for ones mistakes. lol

I don't think i'm being silly..... neither do i acknowledge a mistake.  I was fully conscious when i wrote both statements, and when i wrote the second i was aware of the first.  The statements are not in conflict...... and neither are they an attempt to dodge.  I think they accurately portray what i wished to express.

To say nobody has more than me, is not the same as claiming i have more than anybody. Look to see the Grand Equalization.

And perhaps there is someplace better i could drive you?

Peace forever,
Amminadab

Top of the page Bottom of the page

• RE: No - Donna : 2003-01-28 8:14 AM
  • RE: Grand Equalization - Tom S. : 2003-01-27 9:50 PM
  • Jump to forum :
    Search this forum
    Printer friendly version
    E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
    Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
    © 2002-2021 PD9 Software